5 Things To Know If You’ve Been In A Texas Truck Accident
Because of their size and weight, accidents involving trucks can be devastating. Trucking companies and their drivers have a responsibility to drive carefully and adhere to all laws and regulations regarding commercial transport. However, when they fail to do so, the results are often life-altering. The Texas truck accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law firm hope people aren’t ever involved in 18-wheeler accidents, but if you are, here are five things you need to know.
- You always need to seek medical attention. Even if you feel uninjured, it’s crucial to have a healthcare professional perform an examination following a truck accident. Some injuries may not appear obvious at first, but can be fatal if left untreated.
- The truck driver’s recorded logs need to be investigated. All truck drivers are required to record time spent driving within each 24-hour period in a log book. Inaccuracies or irregularities in the log book could indicate the driver was violating the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s driving hours limit. If the driver was driving while fatigued, this could have contributed to the accident.
- The truck will need to be inspected. It takes routine maintenance to ensure a truck is up to the task of driving. If the owner of the truck failed to perform necessary maintenance or failed to repair or fix problems with the truck, the truck itself may have caused the accident, rather the driver. An examination of the truck and the corresponding maintenance logs will help establish the condition of the truck before the accident.
- There could be multiple parties at fault. While truck drivers are often suspected in causing 18-wheeler accidents, it’s also possible the company employing or contracting the driver is at fault. If the company failed to train the truck driver or negligently hired a driver with a bad driving record, it can also be held responsible. Additionally, if poor maintenance or inadequate repairs caused the truck accident, the company or individual that performed the work can be held responsible.
- Trucking companies will aggressively fight lawsuits and they often have unlimited resources with which to do so. If you’ve been injured in a Texas trucking accident, you can’t do it alone. Partnering with an experienced personal injury trial attorney will ensure all avenues of compensation are pursued.
Get Help From Texas Truck Accident Attorneys
The Texas truck accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm understands the impact a truck accident has on the victim and his or her family. We’ve helped trucking accident victims for over 40 years, and we can help you understand your legal options during a free consultation. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.