From car accidents to workplace accidents, neck injuries can occur in a variety of situations and can be incredibly serious. Any person who suspects they have suffered a neck injury should seek immediate medical treatment.
Some of the most common types of neck injuries include:
- Whiplash – Accidents causing the head to move around violently lead to whiplash injuries. These are common in car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents and can cause damage to the soft tissues in the neck. Damage to the muscles, ligaments, and nerves can cause neck pain, stiffness, headache, dizziness, tingling, numbness, or weakness in your neck and limbs.
- Strain – For both workers operating in confined spaces like electricians and for white collar managers with poor posture at computer desks, strains are very common. Strains usually occur over time and can cause chronic pain.
- Nerve Pinch – Sometimes called a “stinger” or “burner,” a nerve pinch injury occurs when a nerve is compressed. This causes sharp, stabbing pain in the neck and arms. Pinched nerves are most common in very active workers like those with construction or manufacturing jobs.
- Disc Injury – People falling from heights or suffering crush injuries might experience a disc injury. This occurs when neck vertebrae suffer damage, causing nerves to become irritated.
- Vertebral Fracture – This type of neck injury is incredibly serious and requires immediate medical treatment because it could cause paralysis or even death. When an accident causes vertebrae in the neck to fracture, it exposes the spinal cord, and damage to the spinal cord can be permanent.
- Spinal Cord Injury – Although vertebrae are designed to protect the spinal cord, some injuries are so violent that the spinal cord itself suffers damage. Typically, spinal cord injuries cause permanent loss of strength, sensation, and function below the site of injury.
While some neck injuries are less severe than others, all can cause a serious impact on someone’s life. People with neck injuries can quickly find themselves buried in medical bills and might not ever completely recover from their injuries.
Corpus Christi Attorneys for Neck Injury Claims
If your neck injury was caused by motor vehicle accident, slip and fall, or workplace accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation. The experienced Corpus Christi neck injury claims attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm can help you understand your legal options during a free consultation. Contact us today to see how we can help.