The Dangers Of Using A Cell Phone While Driving
Most drivers own cell phones, and unfortunately, many drivers are tempted into using their phones while driving. Most drivers using smartphones while driving do so because they believe they can do it safely, but this couldn’t be further from the truth.
Drivers Aren’t Just Texting
While approximately 61% of drivers admit to texting while driving, this is by no means the only distracted driving behavior drivers engage in. So what exactly grabs drivers’ attention?
- Email – 33% of drivers admit to reading and/or sending emails while driving.
- Surfing the Internet – As astonishing as it seems that someone would surf the Internet while driving, 28% of drivers have admitted to doing so.
- Facebook – 27% of drivers read through their Facebook feeds and/or post to Facebook while driving.
- Taking pictures – Whether their intention is to share with friends or post to social media, 17% of drivers take pictures while driving.
- Twitter and Instagram – While not as popular Facebook, 17% of drivers admit to reading and/or posting on Twitter and Instagram while driving.
- Taking video – 12% of drivers take complete videos with their smartphones while behind the wheel.
- Snapchat – Lured by a special “speed filter” feature that actually measures a person’s speed and overlays it onto a picture, 11% of drivers admit to using Snapchat while driving.
- Video chat – 10% of drivers admit to video chatting when driving.
All of these smartphone activities are incredibly dangerous not just for drivers, but also for other motorists on the roadway and any nearby pedestrians. Using a cell phone while driving in any capacity takes a driver’s hands off the wheel, eyes of the road, and mind off the task of driving. Engaging in any one of these distracted driving behaviors is like driving blindfolded.
The National Safety Council reports that one out of every four car accidents is caused by a distracted driver using a cell phone while driving. Every year, thousands of drivers are injured and hundreds are killed by this incredibly risky and unnecessary behavior.
Corpus Christi Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys
Using a cell phone while driving puts everyone at risk. If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident caused by a driver using a cell phone behind the wheel, you may be entitled to compensation. Call the experienced Corpus Christi distracted driving accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.