People killed in drunk driving accidents account for one-third of all traffic fatalities. This amounts to one death every 53 minutes. Despite the frequency of drunk driving accidents, drinking and driving is still rampant on roadways across the country, and many people are still misinformed about drunk driving.
Here are five things you didn’t know about drunk driving accidents:
- In 2014, over 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence, but this only accounted for 1% of self-reported episodes of drunk driving among American adults. While law enforcement works diligently to get drunk drivers off the road, they do not have the resources or manpower to keep other motorists and pedestrians completely safe from drunk drivers.
- Although only 1% of drunk drivers are ever arrested for drunk driving, on average those arrested drive under the influence 80 times before their initial arrest.
- The frequency of drunk driving means one in every three people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in their lifetime. While many people will recover from the injuries sustained in these car accidents, others will not.
- Drunk driving accidents cost every American approximately $500 each year. Whether a driver has been in a drunk driving accident or not, the frequency of such accidents drives up auto insurance prices for all of us.
- Only time can sober a person up. Drinking coffee, taking a cold shower, exercising, or any other popularized remedy cannot undo the effects of alcohol on the body.
The cost of drinking and driving can be measured in many ways. Not only does it cause thousands of injuries and deaths each year, it also costs every American driver money each year to share the road with drunk drivers. Drinking and driving isn’t just illegal, it’s wrong.
Corpus Christi Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Accidents involving drunk drivers can cause devastating injuries. If a drunk driver hit you or someone you love, you deserve to seek compensation. The experienced Corpus Christi drunk driving accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm can help you understand your legal options and pursue all avenues of compensation. Call us today for a free consultation to discuss your case.