The Gutierrez Law Firm believes in helping our clients overcome hardships. First-generation college students can face obstacles in pursuit of dreams. Since they are the first of their family to attend college, it can be challenging to navigate the world of higher education, from selecting the right school and major to paying tuition. We are inspired by those who did not get discouraged and overcame these hardships. Therefore we are proud to announce our First of Us Scholarship!
Being a first-generation college student can come with many responsibilities and obstacles. Some students may face academic, financial, psychological, and social barriers that make pursuing a college education challenging.
We have created the First of Us Scholarship for first-generation college students to share their experiences of facing and overcoming hardships as the first in their families to pursue higher education. This is a $1,000 scholarship opportunity. We will be accepting applications until August 31, 2023. Please continue reading for more detail on the application process.
- The scholarship is open to any current high school senior, vocational student, college student, or graduate student who is a legal resident of the United States residing in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia and who is enrolled in a vocational program or two to a five-year post-secondary institution
- Employees of Gutierrez Law Firm, their immediate families (parent, child, sibling, and spouse), and persons living in the same households of such individuals (whether related or not), are not eligible to participate in the competition.
- Candidates for this scholarship should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher and be in good overall academic standing.
- The candidate must submit a 750-1000 word essay response to the prompt: Share with us a story of how you or a family member overcame hardships as a first-generation college student and the lessons you or your family member have learned along the way.
- The candidate must submit a transcript from their current school. First-year college students, graduate students, or individuals who have recently transferred schools may submit an unofficial transcript from their current school and the most recent official transcript from their prior school. High school students must also submit proof of acceptance to their college or university.
Gutierrez Law Firm will choose the recipient of the First of Us Scholarship during the month following the deadline.
Application Deadline and Instructions:
To qualify for this scholarship, candidates must email their complete application (including the essay, resumé, and transcript) to email@example.com by August 31, 2023. Any applications sent after this date will not be considered.
Students should send scholarship applications with the subject line “Gutierrez – 2023 First of Us Scholarship Application.”
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org as well.