If the neck is struck, twisted, or jarred during an accident or collision, damage can be inflicted on the vertebrae, spinal cord, and/or muscles. Any number of scenarios can cause this kind of severe trauma, and can easily leave a victim with permanent damage.
The spinal cord is the messenger between the brain and the rest of the body. If it is compressed or wounded, paralysis, lack of muscle control, and other serious consequences can occur. In the instance of a complete disconnect, a victim could face complete paralysis for the rest of his or her life.
Although this extreme scenario may occur with relatively little frequency, neck injures in general impact many individuals.
Neck injuries can be caused by:
- Sports injuries – contact sports such as football and soccer carry a surprisingly high potential for neck injuries among high school and college students.
- Vacation accidents – activities such as paragliding, bungee jumping, and other recreational outings can result in injuries.
- Car crashes – the neck can easily be jarred and injured during a motor vehicle collision, with whiplash as the most common result. However, neck injuries from car accidents might not be immediately apparent.
- Workplace accidents – in addition to sudden accidents, such as falling from a height, a worker may sustain prolonged damage from poor posture, vibration injuries, or other ergonomic problems.
- Slipping and falling – falling on a wet floor can lead to an impact and severe injury to the neck.
Car accidents contribute the highest number of neck injuries each year, as the sudden motion during a wreck can easily damage the neck. Whiplash, which used to refer to a number of neck extension injuries, is the most common injury occurring from car accidents, and is most likely to occur in a rear-end collision.
Falling is also a frequent cause of neck injuries, including workers falling from scaffolds and other heights and individuals slipping on wet surfaces. If the injured party lands with the impact on the base of the skull or the neck area, damage can easily occur to the spinal cord in the neck.
Texas Attorney for Neck Injuries
If you or a loved one has sustained a neck injury through the negligence of another party, you could be entitled to compensation. The accident attorneys of The Gutierrez Law Firm have helped hundreds of individuals facing a wide variety of situations, and we can confidently guide you through the process of seeking the compensation that you deserve.