There are many stages involved in assuring that a baby is delivered as safely as possible, and if any step is neglected or skipped, the infant may face life-altering damage. The doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, midwives, technicians, and other staff are all responsible for adhering to the standard of care, and any failure in care may be disastrous during childbirth.
Birth injury negligence can include:
- Failure to diagnose and treat illness or infection in the mother during pregnancy
- Failure to properly monitor the fetal heartbeat
- Failure to or a delay in ordering a cesarean section when one is necessary
- Failure to treat umbilical cord prolapse
- Failure to successfully perform the McRoberts maneuver
- Failure to properly respond to a breech presentation
Any of these incidents can seriously injure a fragile newborn, leading to life-altering damage. A baby’s development is continually at risk, and an inexperienced or inattentive physician can cause birth injuries that hinder proper development of the brain, muscles, bones, and other important systems.
- Birth hypoxia – oxygen deprivation to the fetus, which can cause brain injuries
- Brachial plexus injury – when the nerves connecting the spinal cord to the shoulders, arms, and hands, are damaged, which can cripple the use of the arms
- Cerebral palsy – a neurological disorder that inhibits muscle coordination and movement
- Erb’s or Klumpke palsy – paralysis of the arm, caused by damage to the nerves of the brachial plexus, commonly occurring due to shoulder dystocia
- Infant respiratory distress syndrome – the leading cause of mortality for preterm deliveries, an infant’s respiratory system is hindered from fully developing
- Shoulder dystocia – when a baby’s shoulder becomes lodged during delivery, permanent injuries to the shoulder and arm can occur if it is not properly addressed
Many of these complications during pregnancy are preventable through the diligent care of the medical providers. When birth injuries such as these are inflicted on the mother or infant, the family faces serious financial burdens, along with the emotional weight of what should have been a happy occasion. Medical care costs can skyrocket , especially when a long-term hospital stay is required.
Birth Injury Attorneys in Houston & Alice, Texas
If you or a loved one has been injured through a preventable incident during childbirth, you may have the option to seek compensation. The personal injury attorneys of The Gutierrez Law Firm have helped many mothers and families across Texas who have been damaged by negligent care during pregnancy and birth. Call today for a consultation regarding your unique situation and what options may be available to you.