J. Javier Gutierrez is a trial lawyer and President of the Gutierrez Law Firm. Mr. Gutierrez has extensive experience representing individuals and families in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits involving motor vehicle and workplace accidents. In recognition of his accomplishments, Mr. Gutierrez has been named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 and by The National Trial Lawyers every year since 2013. He was also named a Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star for six years in a row, from 2012 to 2017. He has also been named to Texas Super Lawyers for four years in a row, from 2017 to 2020. Super Lawyers is a Thomson Reuters company. Mr. Gutierrez is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Mr. Gutierrez graduated magna cum laude from St. Mary’s University in San Antonio with his Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting. He then attended New York University School of Law where he was active in the Latino Law Students Association and the Courtroom Advocates Program as a domestic violence victim advocate.
After receiving his JD in 2004, he returned to Texas where he received his license the same year, and worked as a federal law clerk for the Honorable United States District Judge Jerry L. Buchmeyer in the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division. Prior to joining the Gutierrez Law Firm in 2007, Mr. Gutierrez worked as a business litigation attorney in San Antonio’s largest law firm. Since joining the Gutierrez Law Firm, he has continued to successfully represent business clients as well as personal injury claimants. His participation in the legal community includes serving on the Board of Directors of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, serving as President of the Coastal Bend Bar Association, and serving as a Panel Chair for the State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee.
Mr. Gutierrez is licensed to practice law in Texas state courts; the Federal Courts of the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas; and the Federal Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. In addition to being actively involved in the legal community, Mr. Gutierrez is also a member, and former president, of the Rotary Club of San Diego, Texas.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Coastal Bend Bar Association, Former President
- Texas State Bar Grievance Committee Member, Former Panel Chair
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Former Director
While Mr. Gutierrez has handled a wide range of complex litigation in his career – including defamation suits, appeals, and fraud & forgery cases – his main focus is helping those affected by accidents or wrongful death.
- Lead counsel in wrongful death lawsuit against oilfield services companies for company vehicle crash; confidential settlement.
- Lead counsel in catastrophic injury case against oilfield rental equipment company in 18-wheeler crash; confidential settlement.
- Lead counsel in two hand injury (crush injury and amputation) cases against oilfield services companies; confidential settlement.
- Lead counsel in workplace burn injury case against chemical manufacturing plant.
- Successfully overturned summary judgment on appeal to Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Texas in Chapter 95 workplace injury lawsuit.
- Obtained jury trial victory against a negligent automobile driver represented by Allstate Insurance Company.
- Co-counsel on fatality case involving train and vehicle collision (settled for confidential amount).
- Lead counsel on wrongful death case involving forklift accident (settled for confidential amount).
- Co- counsel on wrongful death case involving forklift accident (settled for confidential amount).
- Lead counsel on defamation case against Texas-based ambulance company (settled for confidential amount).
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- “Preparing and Presenting Your Case on a Budget.” Presented at the 27th Annual Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course, SBOT April 2014 in Dallas, TX.
- “Chapter 95 of Civil Practice and Remedies Code” Presented at the Corpus Christi Bar Association Personal Injury Seminar, November 2020.