Car accidents are one of the most common causes of personal injury. Worsening traffic and commute distances have lengthened drive times and increased the potential for car accidents. If you were involved in an auto accident, you may questions about what do to next. The car accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm have compiled a list of car accident FAQs to help answer your questions.
Why Do Accidents Happen?
Car accidents occur for two reasons: driver error and external factors. Driver error accounts for the majority of car accidents, and a few notable driver errors cause the bulk of automobile crashes.
- Distracted driving. From cell phones to eating and drinking on the road, studies have shown that distracted driving can be incredibly dangerous. Distracted drivers lose focus and reaction time, unable to make the corrections needed to avoid accidents.
- Drowsy driving. Driving while tired is commonly overlooked, but equally as dangerous as driving under the influence.
- Reckless driving. Aggressive drivers that speed, run red lights, tailgate, and ignore traffic laws are big contributors to accident numbers.
- Driving under the influence. Drugs and alcohol impair drivers by reducing reaction time. Drunk driving accidents are often fatal for the driver and the occupants of the other vehicle involved.
What Should I Do After an Accident?
Your first step after an accident is to look after your own health. Medical treatment and concern for your body are your top priorities. After that, you need to begin gathering information and documentation evidence. If you are physically able to do it, quite a bit of information can be gathered from an accident scene. The car accident attorneys at the The Gutierrez Law Firm recommend trying to gather the following information:
- Names and contact information of witnesses.
- Photos of the accident scene and vehicle damage.
- Photos of injuries.
- Date and exact times of accident.
- Detailed notes recalling your version of events surrounding the accident.
What if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
The frustration and recovery from a car accident can be compounded if the at-fault driver does not have insurance. In this scenario, there are two options for car accident compensation. First, begin by looking at your own insurance policy for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage may pay your expenses and cover the holes in the other driver’s coverage.
A lawsuit is the second alternative. The auto accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm can help guide you through the process of filing a claim and proving the other driver’s negligence. Personal injury lawsuits can be lengthy, taking months or years to resolve. The timeline varies based on the case complexity, client preferences, and court schedules. When the negligent driver fails to carry insurance, a lawsuit may be your best option.
How Can A Lawyer Help?
When motor vehicle accidents result in personal injury, a lawyer can help you recover financially for all types of damages – medical, lost income, and pain and suffering. The car accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm can help in many ways:
- Communicate with the other driver’s insurance carrier. The Gutierrez Law Firm can open the lines of communication with the insurance adjuster for the other party. Good relationships with the adjuster are critical.
- Obtain necessary evidence of liability. Although you may have documented the majority of information from the accident scene, a good lawyer will visit the site and further investigate the accident. Obtaining evidence of liability can be very important in a car accident case.
- Obtaining evidence of damages. It can be difficult to gain access to records and medical bills. Hospitals have strict procedures for sharing information. Out attorneys know the process and can piece together evidence of damages from all forms of medical paperwork.
- Negotiating a Settlement. Attempting to recover damages on your own can be difficult. Insurance companies know that you need financial recovery, and need it now. They will be quick to settle, but with a low offer hoping you take the bait.
The personal injury attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm are ready to discuss your case. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, or have more questions about car accidents and personal injuries, call the car accident attorneys at The Gutierrez Law Firm and schedule an appointment with our experienced attorney team.